Racha Island, also known as Raya Island, is a group of small islands off the southern coast of Phuket. The two largest islands in the Racha group are Racha Yai and Racha Noi. Racha Yai, the larger island, is perfect for swimming in the Andaman Sea and beach holidays. In comparison, Racha Noi is a more wild location, suitable for nature enthusiasts, diving, and snorkeling.
What is Racha Island known for?
Located near Phuket, Racha Island is a popular beach getaway and a destination for snorkeling or scuba diving. The island is known for its mesmerizing underwater landscape and inhabitants, including tropical fish, sea turtles, and rays. Water activities are also popular here: besides typical beach holidays, visitors can try kayaking, paddleboarding or canoeing.
You can only reach Koh Racha Yai from Phuket by sailing catamaran or speedboat. Imagine, just a 30-minute trip, and you're on Racha Island. The excursion usually spans the entire day, thanks to Raya's close proximity, making it the preferred destination to break away from the bustling tourist scene in Phuket.
Programs and Prices for Racha Excursions:
- Trip to Racha and Coral Islands by speedboat is a tour with a stop along Racha's shores for swimming and snorkeling in crystal-clear waters, followed by lunch featuring local cuisine right on the beach with a view of the Andaman Sea. Additionally, during the trip, there's a visit to Coral Island for beach relaxation in this Phuket province.
- Cruise to Coral and Racha Islands by sailing catamaran is a tour with swimming, snorkeling, and free time on Racha Island, along with an extra stop along the Coral Island shores. The highlight of the cruise is watching the sunset in the heart of the sea.
- Trip to Racha, Coral, and Maiton Islands is a tour with swimming and snorkeling along the shores of Coral and Maiton Islands, as well as a stop on Racha Island for lunch at a local restaurant.
- Fishing in Phuket is a fishing tour with a stop on Racha's shores for snorkeling, beach relaxation, and lunch prepared from freshly caught fish and seafood.
- Diving in Phuket is a tour with diving in one of Phuket's locations such as Phi Phi, Similan Islands, or Racha. Racha is ideal for beginners as the bay is shallow and well-protected from the wind, but at the same time it strikes you with its diverse underwater flora and fauna.
Each tour includes departure from Phuket, an English-speaking guide, necessary equipment, and round-trip transfer.
In addition to organized cruises from Phuket to Koh Racha Yai, you can also rent a boat, fishing boat, catamaran, or yacht for a personalized journey to Racha.
What Tourists Should Know?
Even for joining an organized cruise, some preparation is needed. Here are a few tips to ensure a great trip:
- Remember to bring sunscreen, sunglasses, and a hatgear. Most cruises include stops for swimming, so don't forget to pack a swimsuit, towel, and a change of clothes in your bag.
- Consider Thailand's tropical climate, when choosing clothing. To feel comfortable, wear light and thin clothing in light colors, and opt for soft, lightweight shoes or sneakers for walks on the islands.
- All water activities on the tour are suitable for both adults and children. However, a prerequisite for participating in open-sea diving and swimming is the ability to swim. If you lack this skill, do not hesitate to inform the guides since life jackets are available on the boat, and like that you will be able to fully participate in the water activities.
- Thailand's nature is unique — both on land and underwater. Therefore, always respect its inhabitants: during snorkeling and diving, avoid getting too close to animals, avoid trying to catch them or take them ashore. On the beach, be mindful of your impact on the environment and pick up all small and large litter.